Bangkok City: Tips to Stay Out of Trouble
Bangkok, Thailand can be a lot to take in upon first setting foot in the city. Upon arrival, you are greeted by high rise buildings, traffic and humid weather but the real charm of Bangkok City is its authentic Thai culture amidst the modernization.
Undoubtedly, the city of Bangkok is just as exotic as the rest of Thailand. Though the place is teeming with attractions and exciting activities do not get too carried away. Bangkok is not immune from its scammers and con artists.
Here are some reminders to keep out of trouble in Bangkok, Thailand:
- Always pay for tuk tuk rides, and negotiate the fee first. If the driver offers a “free” ride, just decline. He will end up taking you to somewhere such as a tailor shop or jewelers shop an try to scam you there.
For more reading on the most common scams in Bangkok take a look at our blog post: Bangkok Scams
- When you go shopping along the street stalls or markets, be careful when it comes to gems or suits. Some of the merchandise they have are counterfeit. Do not buy their sales talk – instead go to known tailor shops to get your suits and established retailers for gems and stones. Some salesmen offer unreasonably priced items to unaware customers.
- Keep your wallet and personal belongings close when you travel around Bangkok City. Pickpocket crimes are common and the targets are usually unaware tourists. Do not brandish around your mobile phone while walking on busy streets.
- To avoid losing your passport, leave the original at the hotel or wherever you are staying and just bring a photocopy with you. There are places in Bangkok that require your passport if you are a foreigner.
- Thais do not appreciate people who easily lose their temper by being aggressive, rough or by shouting. Do not provoke Thais by being a hothead. Instead, remain calm and talk reasonably when you have a disagreement. Be polite to everyone you meet in Bangkok City to avoid picking a fight.
For more useful tips read about: The Thai Culture and Etiquette of Thailand