Chatuchak Weekend Market
One of the greatest attractions of Thailand tourism is its shopping. It is inconceivable that you will visit Thailand but will not indulge in this activity.
There are of course a number of markets in and around Bangkok catering to every taste and demand. However, it is the Chatuchak Weekend Market (also called JJ market) that definitely can be classed as the must see shopping destination in Thailand.
Open every Saturday and Sunday from 9.00 to 18.00 in the Chatuchak Park, the JJ Market is a very popular shopping center for the local Thai people.
It has in the last years gained a lot of attention by tourists and today, 30% of the visitors to this outdoor market comprises of foreign visitors.
The greatest advantage of the Chatuchak Weekend Market is that you can find practically anything there. And you can buy goods at local prices which often end up being substantially cheaper than their counterpart in Sukhumvit and elsewhere in Bangkok. Of course it would depend on your bargaining skills.
Here are some facts that you should know when you visit the Chatuchak Weekend Market:
- The JJ Market is located within a very short distance of the Mo Chit station and is easily reached by Sky Train.
- This huge market has grown up over an area of 35 acres and attracts a huge crowd. Maps are available, but they are often rather confusing. It is better to wander around as the fancy takes you. You will end up experiencing authentic Thai shopping.
- It can get very hot and tiring in the afternoon so it is advisable to visit in the morning to escape the heat and the crowds.
- A vast variety of goods are sold in the market. You can find different types of fabrics, clay handicrafts, wood carvings, religious mementos, decorative flowers, plants and stones, amulets, wooden furniture, traditional outfits, household accessories, books, music and even live animals.
- A number of fake antiques are sold in this market. You should know that you need a special permit to take genuine antiques out of the country. However, some of the imitations are quite good souvenirs.
- Be sure to bargain vigorously but courteously if you want to obtain best deals at the Chatuchak Weekend Market.
- Bangkok Markets (bangkokbeyond.com)